Genie's Black Velvet Roll Out Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus ¼ cup*)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup Genie’s Dream Infinitely Black Cocoa (SIFT or you will have clumping)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk powder (find this at your grocer with the powder milk)
- ½ cup butter (4 oz)
- ½ cup softened cream cheese (4 oz)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Genie’s Dream Clearly Not Vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- In your mixer, blend together the butter and softened cream cheese
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix til fluffy
- Next, add the 2 eggs, Clearly Not Vanilla, and Vinegar
(the mix will not be solid so don’t worry!)
- Whisk together the black cocoa, buttermilk powder, 3 cups of the flour, baking powder and salt then add to the wet ingredients.
- *The dough should be soft but not sticky. If it is sticky add in up to ¼ cup more flour
- After mixing, let it rest for five to ten minutes, then roll out on parchment paper to 1/4 inch thickness dusting lightly with flour/cocoa powder mix as needed.
- Cut into desired shapes and bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE, THEY WILL BE VERY SOFT
- Let cool on the baking sheet a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack
A couple of tips to help you along the way:
- You can mix equal parts of flour, powdered sugar and cocoa powder together for dusting on the cookies while you are rolling them out. It doesn’t show up like white flour does and as a bonus, it adds a little extra flavor.
- Watch the baking time on these cookies closely. When the tops are smooth and no longer shiny, they are done. Do Not Overbake
- If cookies don’t hold their shape well when trying to cut them out then put your rolled out dough in the fridge for a few minutes before cutting!